The short answer is, most definitely! Here’s my 5 reasons why New Smyrna Beach is a good place to live, and why NSB will quickly become one of your favorite beach towns in Florida.
1. Residents that care! One of the first things new residents notice is, we live in a town where the residents have a voice and they use it. Most of the full-time residents take pride in preserving the quaint nature of our town and the beautiful areas of green space, beaches, and waterways. It’s a breath of fresh air to know that the residents around town will actively try and keep the town on the right direction. Too many “small towns” have succumb to big investment and over-development, but the residents here won’t let it happen without a fight. Having so many folks that care says a lot about how special this place really is.
2. It’s a waterman’s and waterwoman’s paradise! If you’ve ever looked up surfing on the East Coast of the USA, New Smyrna Beach probably showed up somewhere in your search results. NSB’s hip culture was vastly created due to it’s popularity as a surfing destination. Here’s just one example of the many publications related to surfing NSB: https://www.surfer.com/features/best-surf-towns-in-america-2017-no-5-new-smyrna-beach-fl/ Don’t like surfing? It’s also a stand up paddle, kayak, boating, and sailing lovers dream. Spend one day on the river and you’ll quickly see why.
3. Crime? Many would say, what crime? NSB has it’s share of crime like most places, but to this point I revert back to item #1. Have someone running around beachside stealing bicycles? What will seem like the entire town, knows about it in 24 hours and is on the lookout. NSB has a very friendly vibe, neighbors helping neighbors.
4. Walk-ability. If being able to walk to a nice dinner spot, a street festival, or just out for a drink is important to you then beachside or riverside area will meet or exceed your expectations. With a variety of restaurants and low key night life, you can stroll at your own pace just a few minutes from home.
5. Quiet neighborhoods. Our residents have fought hard to preserve the zoning that the City of New Smyrna Beach broadly has in place for vacation rentals. It is possible to live in a beach town without the house next door being packed with tourists playing music until 2am. For those that break the rules and vacation rent their homes for less than 30 days, the city usually knows about it and follows up accordingly. We worked hard to live at the beach and the city supports our rights for quiet enjoyment. We welcome tourism, after all any beautiful place that’s accessible is going to have it’s share of tourists, but our city understands we work hard to live here and we deserve to enjoy as much as the tourists.
I could continue on with probably 30-40 reasons why New Smyrna Beach is a good place to live but hopefully you’ve benefited from my top five reasons. If you ever have questions about the community or general lifestyle here in NSB, you are most welcome to call or email anytime. I am not just a New Smyrna Beach real estate agent, I am also a 4th generation local (my family came to the area in the early 1900’s) and I own a surf school that specializes in private surfing lessons for all levels of experience. I traveled the world as a professional surfer for many years and wound up right back here in this gorgeous beach town. I hope you enjoy it and work toward preserving it, if you too eventually become a local. If you’re looking for chain restaurants, hustle, bustle, and concrete jungles this may not be a good fit but always feel free to visit, enjoy, and relax.